Almond Cherry Biscotti with Citrus
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: 27 Min.
Chill Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1/3 c. canola oil (75 mL)
+ 2/3 c. granulated sugar (150 mL)
+ 1 tsp. baking powder (5 mL)
+ 1/2 tsp. baking soda (2 mL)
+ 2 large eggs
+ 2 Tbsp. lemon or orange zest (30 mL)
+ 2 1/2 c. white whole-wheat flour, spooned into measuring cups and leveled (625 mL)
+ 1/2 c. dried cherries (125 mL)
+ 1/2 c. (2 oz./55g) slivered almonds toasted (125 mL)
+ canola oil cooking spray
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. With a mixer, beat canola oil, sugar, baking powder and baking soda on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs and zest. Reduce to low speed, gradually adding flour, and beat to a coarse meal texture. (Dough will be fairly dry at this point.) Add cherries and almonds. Using a spoon, blend thoroughly. Knead slightly and shape into two logs 9 inches long, 1/2 inch high, and 2 inches wide. Coat large nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray and place logs on baking sheet.
3. Bake for 18 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet 20 minutes. Gently remove and place on cutting board.
4. Reduce heat to 325°F (160°C). Using a serrated knife, carefully cut each roll crosswise into 12 slices diagonally. Place slices cut-side down on cookie sheet and bake 9 minutes on each side or until crisp and light brown. Place baking sheet on wire rack and cool completely.
Tip: Let the biscotti stand 4 hours to allow flavors to blend. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or wrap tightly in plastic wrap and freeze. Dried cranberries can be substituted for dried cherries and pistachios for almonds.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo. "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo
Calories: 260; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Total Carbs: 38g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 95mg;