Sweet Potato Colcannon
Courtesy of North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 30 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 4-5 medium sweet potatoes
+ 1 onion
+ 1/4 c. milk
+ 9 Tbsp. butter, divided
+ 1 bay leaf
+ 2 c. chopped kale
+ 1 tsp. minced garlic
+ salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into a 1 inch dice. Chop onion coarsely.
2. Bring sweet potato and onion to boil in a large saucepan and cook until tender; set aside.
3. Heat milk, 8 tablespoons butter and bay leaf in a small saucepan. Bring to almost a boil, then remove from heat, discarding bay leaf, and set aside.
4. In a large sauté pan heat remaining 1 tablespoon butter with garlic. Sauté kale until wilted.
5. Drain water from sweet potato and combine with the hot milk and butter mixture. Stir in kale. Season with salt and pepper.