Pineapple-Orange Frozen Custard Ice Cream
Courtesy of The incredible edible egg™
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
Chill Time: 1 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 6 eggs
+ 1 1/3 c. sugar
+ 2 c. milk
+ 3 c. fresh pineapple puree (see Insider Information below)
+ 2 c. whipping cream
+ 1/4 c. frozen orange juice concentrate, defrosted
+ 2 tsp. freshly grated orange peel
+ 1 tsp. vanilla
+ crushed ice
+ rock salt
What to do:
1. Custard Base: Beat eggs and sugar in medium heavy saucepan until blended; stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon with a thin film and temperature reaches 160°F, about 15 min. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
2. Cool quickly: Set pan in larger pan of ice water; stir occasionally and gently for a few minutes to hasten cooling. Press piece of plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 1 hr.
3. Ice Cream: Pour chilled custard, pineapple puree, whipping cream, juice concentrate, orange peel and vanilla into 1-gallon ice cream freezer can. Freeze according to manufacturer's directions, using 6 parts crushed ice to 1 part rock salt. Transfer to freezer containers, allowing head space for expansion; freeze until firm.
* Pineapple puree: Peel and core a 1-1/2 lb. pineapple; cut into chunks. Process in blender or food processor on medium speed until smooth.
* Beginners may want to cook the custard in a double boiler over simmering water. This method takes longer for the custard to thicken, but allows more control and reduces the risk of curdling.
"For more ways to enjoy The incredible edible egg™, visit incredibleegg.org"
Calories: 242; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 8g; Cholesterol: 123mg; Total Carbs: 26g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 52mg;